75th Anniversary Scholarship Donor: Stephanie Davis-Kahl
As part of the celebration of ACRL’s 75th Anniversary, we’ve launched a fundraising campaign to fund 75 scholarships for ACRL 2015. Over the course of the campaign, we’ll profile the ACRL 75th Anniversary scholarship donors and learn why they chose to support to the campaign.
Stephanie Davis-Kahl is the scholarly communications librarian and professor at Illinois Wesleyan University. She is currently on the College and Research Libraries Editorial Board and has been a Friend of ACRL since 2014.
1. Describe yourself in three words: Energetic, organized, amiable.
2. Why do you support the 75th ACRL Anniversary scholarship campaign? To help new and mid-career librarians get started in the association, or to explore something new by attending the conference.
3. What might someone be surprised to know about you? I paid for my college textbooks by making small clay bears and selling them in my parents’ pottery store in southern Maine.
4. Since you’ve become a member of ACRL, tell us about someone who influenced you in some way. Penny Beile is a fantastic mentor, Scott Walter makes me think outside of my comfort zone when it comes to librarianship, Merinda Kaye Hensley is a great collaborator, and Kara Malenfant is a model for facilitating discussions and committee work.
5. What do you hope ACRL will achieve in the next 75 years? More progress towards sustainable models of open access publishing, advocacy for academic librarians and their value to institutions, and continuing the tradition of thought-provoking conferences.
6. In your opinion, what is the most important work that ACRL does? Creates an environment where academic librarians can come together to discuss, debate, collaborate and take action.