75th Anniversary Scholarship Donor: Anne K. Beaubien
As part of the celebration of ACRL’s 75th Anniversary, we’ve launched a fundraising campaign to fund 75 scholarships for ACRL 2015. Over the course of the campaign, we’ll profile the ACRL 75th Anniversary scholarship donors and learn why they chose to support to the campaign.
Anne K. Beaubien is the Director of MLibrary Document Delivery at the University of Michigan Library in Ann Arbor, Michigan. Anne has been an ACRL member since 1973 and she served as the 1991-1992 ACRL President.
1. Describe yourself in three words: Service-oriented, entrepreneur, self-motivated.
2. Why do you support the 75th ACRL Anniversary scholarship campaign? I want to support young librarians so they can experience the high quality ACRL programs and to give them an opportunity to begin creating their professional network which will support them throughout their careers.
3. What might someone be surprised to know about you? I’ve worked for the University of Michigan Library for 44 years (in a variety of roles).
4. Since you’ve become a member of ACRL, tell us about someone who influenced you in some way. When I presented my first ACRL preconference on library instruction with Sharon Hogan and Mary George, Irma Johnson, MIT Librarian, encouraged us to use the content of our workshop as the basis of a book. She told us we spoke so clearly it was important for us to write it down. We did and Bowker published our book in 1982.
5. What do you hope ACRL will achieve in the next 75 years? Continue to help academic librarians and libraries embrace and leverage changes in the environment.
6. In your opinion, what is the most important work that ACRL does? ACRL offers opportunities for networking and information exchange whether librarians are brand new or more seasoned. Participation in ACRL committees gave me my first leadership experiences and a network of colleagues across the country with whom I talk through challenging issues. Both have helped me grow professionally and become a better librarian. And ACRL has also given me some lifelong friends. I want to help give that gift to other librarians.