Candidates for ACRL Chapters Council Secretary and Vice-Chair/Chair-Elect
Elections for the 2012-2013 Chapters Council Secretary and Vice-Chair/Chair Elect will take place during the Chapters Council meeting at ALA Annual in Anaheim. The following candidates have accepted nominations for the positions.
ACRL Chapters Council Secretary
Caroline Fuchs, Associate Professor and Outreach Librarian at St. John’s University Libraries
In addition to an MLS from St. John’s University, Caroline also holds a MA in English and an MA in history. She is currently serving as the President of ACRL/NY (the Greater New York Metropolitan area Chapter); as the Chapter’s Legislative Liaison and as a member of the Chapter’s Symposium Planning Committee. She has been an active member of both ALA and ACRL and serves on several committees including the ACRL ULS Academic Outreach Committee and the RUSA Access to Information Committee. She is currently the co-chair of the AFL-CIO-ALA Joint Committee on Library Services to Labor Groups. Among her other professional commitments, Professor Fuchs also serves on the Metropolitan New York Library Council (METRO) in several capacities: as the co-founder and co-convener of the Library Advocacy Special Interest Group, as co-convener of the Library 2.0 Special Interest Group, and as a Member of the Documentary Heritage Program Advisory Council.
Statement of Interest: I would be pleased and honored to serve as the Secretary of the ACRL Chapters Council. As an active member of the library community both locally and nationally, I firmly believe that academic librarians should actively engage with their professional organizations. Chapters Council is a fine example of how academic librarians can work together to further the goals of the professional, while also providing a significant arena in which to share ideas, discuss issues, and network with colleagues. I would welcome the opportunity to serve as Secretary.
ACRL Chapters Council Vice-Chair/Chair-Elect
Les Kong, Coordinator, Library Media Services. John M. Pfau Library. California State University, San Bernardino
Current position: Coordinator, Library Media Services. John M. Pfau Library. California State University, San Bernardino. 2010-present. Previous positions: Head of Public Services. California State University, San Bernardino. 1993-2010. Head of Reference. California State University, San Bernardino. 1990-1993. Social Science and Business Administration Reference Librarian. California State University, Sacramento. 1978-1990. Adjunct Professor. School of Library & Information Science. San Jose State University. 1988-2000.
- Masters of Business Administration, California State University, Sacramento. 1987.
- Masters of Library Science, University of California, Berkeley. 1977.
- Bachelor of Arts, Business Administration (Marketing). San Francisco State University. 1975.
Memberships, Committees, and Offices Held (Selected):
- California Academic Research Libraries (CARL – California Chapter of ACRL)) ACRL Chapters Council Delegate [state-wide elected position], 2007-present.
- CARL Executive Board, Member, 2007-present.
- CARL, President, 1998.
- CARL, Vice-President/President-Elect [state-wide elected position], 1996-97.
- CARL, Secretary-Treasurer [state-wide elected position], 1992-93.
- Western Association of Schools & Colleges (WASC), Accrediting Commission for Senior Colleges & Universities, Substantive Change Committee, Member, 2004-09.
- WASC, Accrediting Commission for Senior Colleges & Universities, Evaluator, 2001-present.
- ALA Chapter Councilor (California), California Library Association (CLA), 2006-2011.
- CLA Executive Board, Member, 2002-2005, 2006-2011.
- CLA Past President, 2004-05.
- CLA President, 2003.
- CLA Vice-President, President-Elect [state-wide elected position], 2002.
- Conference Program Planning Committee (2000), Business Reference and Services Section (BRASS), Reference & User Services Association (RUSA), American Library Association (ALA), 1999-2000.
- Education Committee, BRASS, RUSA, ALA, 1999-2001.
- Local Arrangements Committee, Junior Members Round Table, ALA, 1987.
- Membership/Public Relations Committee, Library Instruction Round Table (LIRT), ALA, 1987-89.
Publications and Presentations:
- “Academic Reference Librarians: Under the Microscope,” The Reference Librarian No.54:21-27 (1996).
- “Academic Reference Librarians: Under the Microscope,” in The Roles of Reference Librarians: Today and Tomorrow. pps.21-27. New York: Haworth Press, 1996.
- “Reference Service Evolved,” Journal of Academic Librarianship 21:13-14 (January 1995).
- “Charting a Career Path in the Information Professions,” co-authored with R. Goodfellow, College & Research Libraries 49:207-16 (May 1988).
Statement of Interest: I have been very active at the state level in California in terms of professional associations, having held top leadership positions in the ACRL Chapter, California Academic & Research Libraries, and in the ALA Chapter, California Library Association. Through these associations, I have also been active at the national level with ACRL and ALA, participating at ACRL Chapters Council meetings, and on ALA Council for a number of years. It would be an honor to serve in a leadership role on the ACRL Chapters Council. If elected, I would continue our efforts to push for increased funding of chapter activities by ACRL, and would seek ways to close the perceived gap between the chapters and National.