The ACRL IS Information Literacy in the Disciplines Committee has gathered together links to information literacy standards and curricula developed by regional accrediting organizations.
Updated July 2019
1. Regional Accrediting Organizations
The Council for Higher Education Accreditation recognizes these seven regional accreditation organizations.
- Standard II – Student Learning Programs and Support Services, Section A. – Instructional Programs, criterion 11
- Criterion 2 – Integrity, Ethical and Responsible Conduct, criterion 2.E.2
- Criterion 3 – Teaching and Learning: Quality, Resources, and Support, criteria 3.B.3 and 3.D.5
- Standard III – Design and Delivery of the Student Learning Experience, Criterion 5b
- Standard 4 – The Academic Program, criteria 4.12, 4.15, and 4.19
- Standard 7 – Institutional Resources, criteria 7.21 and 7.22
- Standard Two – Resources and Capacity, Section 2.C – Education Resources, criterion 2.C.6
- Standard Two – Resources and Capacity, Section 2.E. Library and Information Resources, criterion 2.E.3
- Section 11 – Library and Learning/Information Resources, criterion 3, page 26
- Handbook of Accreditation 2013 Revised
- Standard 2 – Achieving Educational Objectives through Core Functions, criterion 2.2a
- Standard 4 – Educational Quality: Student Learning, Core Competencies, and Standards of Performance at Graduation
2. Related Research
Gratch-Lindauer, Bonnie. 2002. Comparing the regional accreditation standards: Outcomes assessment and other trends. Journal of Academic Librarianship 28(1/2): 14.
Malone, Debbie and Nelson, William Neal. 2006. A Library compliance strategy for regional accreditation standards: Using ACRL Higher Education Standards with the Middle States Commission. College & Undergraduate Libraries 13(1): 89-105.
Nelson, William N. 2004. SACS Standards 2004: A Compliance strategy for academic libraries. Southeastern Librarian 52(3): 9-16.
Ratteray, Oswald M. T. 2002. Information literacy in self-study and accreditation. Journal of Academic Librarianship 28(6): 368.
Rockman, Ilene F. 2003. Integrating information literacy into the outcomes of academic disciplines. College & Research Libraries News 64(9): 612-615.
Saunders, Laura. 2007 “Regional accreditation organizations’ treatment of information literacy: Definitions, collaboration, and assessment.” The Journal of Academic Librarianship 33, no. 3: 317-326.
Sowell, Cary. 2005. Accrediting agencies still value libraries. Community & Junior College Libraries 13(2): 3-4.
Thompson, Gary B. 2002. Information literacy accreditation mandates: What they mean for faculty and librarians. Library Trends 51(2): 218-41.