Current Web Site Co-Administrators: Maura Seale, 2020-2022, Vacant
Co-Administrators serve a two-year term and are responsible for developing and maintaining the IS web site under the direction of the IS Executive Committee, in consultation with the IS Advisory Council and the IS Communication Committee. The IS web site provides access to information about the Section’s structure, committees, reports, meetings, programs, awards, news, projects, publications, and activities.
The IS Web Site Co-Administrators are members of the Communication Committee and non-voting, ex-officio members of the IS Advisory Council. Following the conclusion of the term of appointment, the IS Web Site Co-Administrators are expected to serve as a resource for their successors.
Web administration responsibilities include:
- Acquiring, uploading, and updating information maintained, generated, and submitted by IS committees and task forces.
- Responding in a timely manner to questions and update requests regarding the web site.
- Providing support, recommendations, and advice to IS committees and task forces regarding appropriate formatting, communication venues, and other web-based solutions for both new and existing digital content.
- Assisting committee chairs in maintaining their committee web pages as needed.
- Archiving the entire IS site on a regular schedule (especially before updating plug-ins).
- Selecting, installing, and updating WordPress plug-ins, and keep them current and functioning.
- Coordinating activities, deadlines, and dissemination of information with the IS Newsletter Editor and IS Executive Committee.
- Organizing and formatting information on the Section web site to conform to the current approved style sheet or template.
- Reviewing the site for possible content and design revisions.
- Proposing new guidelines, best practices, and policies relating to the IS web site to ensure easy access to all content, to assist IS committees and task forces in preparing and revising their specific web content, and keeping the site secure.
- Representing the IS Section on the ACRL Web Task Force or other ALA or ACRL-sponsored, web-related working groups as needed.
- Adhering to ALA/ACRL web site guidelines and best practices to ensure consistency, security, and adherence to technical requirements of the content management system and web server.
- Working with ALA/ACRL liaisons or others to troubleshoot technical problems.
- Participating in training required for the maintenance of the IS Web Site.
- Generating a variety of reports such as web site usage statistics and updates on web site projects.
- Updating the documents “Tips for the IS Web Administrator,” “Tips for Web Pages,” “Web Site Maintenance Guidelines,” “Tips for Committee, Publication, & Project Web Pages,” and “File Naming Conventions” as needed.
- Membership in the ACRL Instruction Section.
- Demonstrated competency in HTML authoring and Web site maintenance.
- Strong organizational and time management skills as well as attention to detail.
- Ability to meet deadlines and communicate effectively by e-mail.
Appointment and term:
IS Web Site Co-Administrators are volunteers who serve a two-year term, upon selection by the Executive Committee and appointment by the Vice-Chair/Chair-Elect. The IS Communication Committee will call for applications before the Midwinter Conference and make a recommendation for filling the position to the IS Executive Committee after the Midwinter Conference. The appointment begins immediately after the ALA Annual Conference that year. IS Web Site Co-Administrators must attend Communication Committee and Advisory Council meetings virtually and at ALA Annual conference and as requested by the IS Executive Committee, the Midwinter conference.
Previous Web Administrators:
Meredith Knoff, 2017-2019
Hilary Bussell, 2016-2018
Lauren Wahman, 2016-2017
Laura Schmidli, 2011-2016
Maura Seale, 2015-2016
Marissa Ball, 2011 – 2015
Jean McLaughlin and Jennifer Sharkey, 2009-2011
Melissa Becher, 2007-2009
Regan Brumagen and Susanna Eng, 2003-2007
Candice Benjes-Small, 2003-2004
Stephanie Michel, 2001-2003
Vibianna Bowman, 2000-2001
Ann Scholz-Crane, 1999-2000
Elizabeth Dupuis, 1997-1999