Applications and nominations are invited for the position of book review editor of College & Research Libraries (C&RL), the scholarly research journal of the Association of College and Research Libraries (ACRL). The book review editor will work closely with the editor, members of the Editorial Board, production staff, and a team of reviewers to provide reviews of new publications pertinent to academic and research librarians. The book review editor will be appointed for an initial, three-year term and will be expected to shepherd the publication of a minimum of six reviews per C&RL issue for a total of a minimum of 36 reviews per calendar year. Applicants must be a member of ALA and ACRL.
- professional experience in academic libraries;
- experience as a reviewer for an academic journal;
- ability to identify, prioritize and distribute materials for review in the journal;
- ability to maintain and organize a team of qualified reviewers;
- ability to manage the flow of materials from publishers to reviewers to production staff (C&RL uses OJS; book review editor may work within or outside of that system);
- excellent communication skills;
- ability to meet, and hold others to, deadlines; and
- familiarity with trends in higher education and library and information science publishing.
C&RL is committed to upholding ACRL values and initiatives, including an emphasis on equity, diversity, and inclusion (EDI). Preferred candidates will demonstrate their ability to support and build on these goals.
Appointment will be made by the ACRL Publications Coordinating Committee (PCC) upon the recommendation of the C&RL Editorial Board. The book review editor will begin a three-year term of appointment immediately upon approval by PCC. A nominal honorarium may be available for this position, pending final review of the C&RL editorial budget.
Applications and nominations (including self-nominations)—including a current CV; a statement addressing the nominee’s qualifications in the areas noted above; and a statement regarding the nominee’s commitment to EDI—should be sent to:
David Free / ACRL Staff / firstname.lastname@example.org
The deadline for receipt of applications for best consideration is April 3, 2023. Finalists will be interviewed virtually during April 2023.