Applications and nominations are invited for the position of Social Media Editor for College & Research Libraries (C&RL), the scholarly research journal of the Association of College and Research Libraries (ACRL). The Social Media Editor is a recurring service positon and a critical component of the journal’s e-only publication model and media presence. The Social Media Editor will work closely with the editor of C&RL and the members of the Editorial Board to shape the media and social media strategy for the publication. The Social Media Editor will also collaborate with the C&RL News Editorial Board and ACRL staff to identify opportunities for effective integration with the programs established by other ACRL publications and by the association.
The successful candidate will plan and execute multimedia content in support of the journal and help monitor and manage the publication’s social media accounts. The position will be appointed for an initial, three-year term, at the conclusion of which the Editorial Board will determine if the position should continue for an additional three years. Applicants must be a member of ALA and ACRL.
- professional experience in academic libraries;
- a record of successful social media planning and implementation;
- evidence of multimedia based products or publications in librarianship;
- knowledge of best practices in media planning and innovative practices in the use of social media as a component of scholarly communications;
- ability to identify, prioritize, and implement media and social media projects that enhance and amplify the content disseminated through the journal;
- ability to meet deadlines; and
- familiarity with the existing social media program employed by ACRL.
Appointment will be made by the ACRL Publications Coordinating Committee upon the recommendation of the C&RL Editorial Board. The social media editor will begin a three-year term of appointment following the ALA Annual Conference in July 2023. A nominal honorarium may be available for this position.
Applications and nominations (including self-nominations), including a current CV, a statement addressing the nominee’s qualifications in the areas noted above, and at least 3 examples of media or social media products, should be sent to:
David Free / ACRL Staff / email@example.com
The deadline for receipt of applications for best consideration is April 3, 2023. Finalists will be interviewed virtually during April 2023.
April 17 Update: The application deadline has been extended to May 31, 2023. Finalists will be interviewed virtually during June 2023.