Applications and nominations are invited for the position of Reviews Editor for ACRL’s peer-reviewed journal in special collections librarianship, RBM: A Journal of Rare Books, Manuscripts, and Cultural Heritage. The reviews editor has charge of the reviews published in the journal’s biennial issues and online reviews portal to ensure the journal provides qualified opinions of new publications and other scholarly resources relevant to academic librarians and archivists specifically involved in rare books, manuscripts, and cultural heritage.
Responsibilities include receiving and soliciting material for review, making assignments to qualified reviewers, collating reviews to meet print production schedules, and providing reviews for regular publication in the online reviews portal between print issues.
The Reviews Editor is a voting member of the RBM Editorial Board. They work closely with the journal editor, members of the Editorial Board, and ACRL production staff. The appointment as Reviews Editor is a three-year term; applicants must be a member of ALA and ACRL.
A nominal honorarium may be available for this position, pending final review of the RBM editorial budget.
Desired qualifications include:
· professional experience in academic libraries;
· experience as a reviewer for an academic journal;
· ability to identify, prioritize, and distribute materials for review in the journal;
· ability to maintain and organize a widely scattered and diverse team of qualified reviewers;
· ability to manage the flow of materials from publishers to reviewers to production staff;
· excellent communication skills;
· ability to meet, and hold others to, deadlines; and
· familiarity with trends in cultural heritage institutions, higher education, and library and information science publishing.
Applications and nominations must include a statement of qualifications addressing the areas noted above and include a current CV. Applications and nominations must include a statement of qualifications addressing the areas noted above and include a current CV. Application documents should be sent to RBM Senior Production Editor Dawn Mueller at email@example.com.
Application reviews begin November 1, 2021. Finalists will be interviewed online in late 2021 or early in 2022. The position is open until a suitable candidate is proposed to ACRL. Appointment to the position is made by the ACRL Publications Coordinating Committee (PCC) upon the recommendation of the RBM Editorial Board. At appointment the Reviews Editor will fill the time remaining in the current appointment cycle (2 years). They may to serve a successive three-year term and thereafter remain eligible for reappointment.