The ALA Conference Committee is seeking your feedback as we work to remodel the ALA Annual Conference. Mary Ghikas, ALA’s Senior Associate Executive Director, in consultation with the Conference Committee/Conference Program Coordinating Team and with input from ALA conferences services, division staff, and roundtable/ALA committee staff liaisons, has developed a remodel proposal for our upcoming 2018 Annual Conference in New Orleans.
As we worked on its development, we had the following objectives in mind:
- Create a more manageable and more easily navigable Annual Conference
- Provide high-quality continuing education in content streams relevant to individuals from different types of libraries and in different specializations
- Eliminate to the extent possible conflict between programs in the same content stream or during the same time periods
- Provide peer-to-peer learning and networking aligned with contract streams through discussion/interest groups
- Continue to provide an exceptional exhibition of products and services for the library community, as well as an opportunity for authors and librarians to interact
- Provide integrated content information—including programs and discussion groups, as well as interactions with authors and exhibitors
- Support the governance of the Association by providing a venue for both essential governance meetings and collaborative work
- Address attendee dissatisfaction with the spread-out campus by reducing campus size by approximately 50%
- Control costs by reducing campus spread, eliminating or reducing room turns and increasing consistency in practice
- Increase sustainability, both financial and environmental
The Conference Committee values your input. We particularly encourage all units of the Association and affiliates who produce programming, hold discussion/interest groups, and/or hold meetings at Annual Conference to review the remodel proposal. You may post your comments on the Conference Committee’s ALA Connect space.
The Conference Committee feels this remodel provides a better conference experience for all participants, as well as long-term sustainability for our association.
Clara Bohrer, Chair
ALA Conference Committee