Editor’s Note: In the lead-up to the 2020 ALA/ACRL election, we’re profiling the 2020 ACRL Board of Directors candidates. We’ll feature one candidate in slate order each weekday from February 28 – March 6. Complete details on candidates for ACRL offices are available on the election website. Make sure to vote for the candidates of your choice starting March 9.
Toni Anaya is an associate professor and interim coordinator of user experience at the University of Nebraska Lincoln in Lincoln, Nebraska, and a 2020 candidate for the ACRL Board of Directors as Director-at-Large.
1. Describe yourself in three words: Approachable collaborative leader.
2. Describe ACRL in three words: My favorite organization.
3. What do you value about ACRL? I appreciate the relevance and the timeliness of the resources, toolkits, white papers and programming that ACRL offers and how that work fits in my range of professional projects and passions.
4. What would you as candidate for the ACRL Board like to see ACRL accomplish in the area of EDI? My area of research explores the issues surrounding the recruitment and retention of underrepresented groups in the profession. There is a huge lack of diversity and representation in the library profession and academia overall. I would like the organization to continue working towards a more diverse workforce but also recognize that we need to be doing much more to retain these individuals. We still have a long way to go.
5. In your own words: I started in the public library and never intended to make the switch to academia. As I mentioned in my candidate statement, as an undergrad, I never met an academic librarian prior to starting my MLS program nor did I actually consult with one throughout my academic career which is something I regret. I advocate partnering with the library everyday and look for creative ways to increase awareness of all of the wonderful ways we can support our users. I never want to hear “I’m a senior and have never had to use the library” again!
6. What are you reading (or listening to on your mobile device(s)? I’m a fast reader so I finished about 200 books last year and usually have multiple ones going at the same time! I’m a big romance reader so right now, I am reading The Vanishing by Jayne Ann Krentz, The Bromance Book Club by Lyssa Kay Adams, and listening to Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs and The Library Book by Susan Orlean.