Help support a diverse workforce in the next generation of academic librarians by mentoring an ALA Spectrum Scholar through the ACRL Dr. E.J. Josey Spectrum Scholar Mentor Program!
This program links library school students and new librarians who are of American Indian/Alaska Native, Asian, Black/African American, Hispanic/Latino, Middle Eastern and North African, and/or Native Hawaiian/Other Pacific Islander descent, with established academic librarians who provide mentoring.
What mentors do:
- provide an ear for confidential discussion and feedback
- assist mentees’ exploration of career path
- help mentees find opportunities for involvement and leadership within the profession.
Criteria and responsibilities for being a mentor include:
- being a personal member of ACRL,
- committing to be a mentor for a minimum of one year (and up to three years),
- attending an online mentoring tips session,
- assuming a proactive role towards achievement of your mentee’s goals,
- communicating with mentee on a regular basis (at least once a month is ideal),
- spending time together at conferences when both mentor and mentee are in attendance, and
- submitting brief assessment surveys during the first year of your mentorship.
How to Apply
If you are interested in becoming a mentor for a Spectrum Scholar through the ACRL Dr. E.J. Josey Spectrum Scholar Mentor program, complete the online application.
What Happens Next?
The ACRL Dr. E.J. Josey Spectrum Scholar Mentor Committee may match new pairs of mentors and Spectrum Scholars throughout the year. If we are unable to match you with a Scholar immediately, your application will be kept on file and you’ll be contacted periodically to confirm your ongoing interest in participating.
While applications are accepted on an ongoing basis, the committee will next be matching a cohort of mentors and mentees this fall, so apply today to be an ACRL Spectrum Scholar Mentor. Applications completed by October 15 will be considered for matches. The profession benefits when you share your experience!
If you have questions about the ACRL Dr. E.J. Josey Spectrum Scholar Mentor Program, please contact Committee Chair Aubrey Iglesias at email@example.com or ACRL staff member David Connolly at firstname.lastname@example.org.