The ACRL Publications Coordinating Committee invites applications and nominations for the position of Editor of College & Research Libraries (C&RL), the scholarly research journal of ACRL. The association seeks an experienced candidate to lead its top-tier, open access journal with an eye to the future of scholarly publishing. Candidates are expected to uphold and advance the association’s core commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion. The editor is appointed for a three-year term, which may be renewed for an additional three years. Applicants must be a member of ALA and ACRL at the time of appointment.
- Manage the production process in conjunction with the ACRL Senior Production Editor
- Manage incoming submissions in Open Journal Systems
- Maintain a current list of qualified reviewers and assign submissions for peer review
- Review reviewer feedback and communicate with authors regarding revisions
- Make publication decisions regarding submissions
- Review issue proofs
- Field author inquiries
- Facilitate meetings and information exchange with the editorial board and the ACRL Publications Coordinating Committee
- Run reports, write work plans, and other administrative duties relating to journal publication and ACRL/ALA oversight
- Write the C&RL Spotlight column for C&RL News
- Manage C&RL promotion and outreach, including social media, podcasts, and other media
- Professional experience in academic libraries
- Broad knowledge of current issues facing academic and research libraries
- Knowledge of, and experience with, current trends and innovations in scholarly communication, including open access, open peer review, and digital publishing
- Strong commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion in scholarly publishing and the profession
- Organizational and communication skills, including the ability to meet, and hold others to, publication deadlines
- Editing experience, preferably in the scholarly publishing environment
- Knowledge of current trends in reader engagement, including social media integration
- Record of scholarly publishing
ACRL provides an annual honorarium for the editor. Funding for positions such as editorial assistants, book review, and social media editors is also available for distribution at the editor’s discretion.
Appointment will be made by the ACRL Board of Directors at, or prior to, the 2021 ALA Annual Conference upon the recommendation of the search committee and the ACRL Publications Coordinating Committee. The incoming editor will serve as Editor-Designate for one year before assuming full responsibility for C&RL in July 2022.
Interested applicants should submit a CV, cover letter, and names of three references via email to ACRL Senior Production Editor Dawn Mueller at email@example.com. Please send questions about the application process to search committee chair Julia Gelfand at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Interested in nominating a qualified candidate? Send nominee contact information to the search committee chair Julia Gelfand at email@example.com prior to the application deadline and the search committee will solicit an application on your behalf.
The deadline for receipt of applications is January 29, 2021. Finalists will be interviewed virtually in winter 2021.