The ACRL Community and Junior College Libraries Section (CJCLS) is currently seeking applications to serve a three-year term (July 1, 2018- June 30, 2021) as the ACRL Liaison to the Community College Humanities Association (CCHA). Liaisons are responsible for outreach, education, and communication between CCHA and ACRL to form strong relationships and advance the interests of ACRL and CJCLS.
About the Community College Humanities Association
The Community College Humanities Association (CCHA), founded in 1979, is the only national organization of its kind for humanities faculty and administrators in two-year colleges. It is dedicated to preserving and strengthening the humanities in two-year colleges.
CCHA serves as a catalyst for defining the issues which face humanities faculty and administrators today, finding solutions to problems in the field, and establishing a communications network for humanists.
The Community College Humanities Association has five regional divisions each represented by Board Members.
The Association’s Purposes Are
- To advance the cause of the humanities in community colleges through its own activities and in cooperation with other institutions and professional organizations involved in higher education
- To provide a regular forum for the exchange of ideas on significant issues in the humanities in higher education
- To encourage and support the professional work of faculty and administrators in the humanities
- To sponsors conferences, seminars, and institutes to provide opportunities for faculty development: and
- To promote the discussion of issues of concern to humanists and to disseminate information about the Association’s activities through its publications
For more information about the organization, please visit https://www.cchumanities.org/.
Nominees must submit:
- A letter of application articulating qualifications to Peter Hepburn, CJCLS chair-elect, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A current vita.
The deadline for applications is January 31, 2018.
- Attendance at the CCHA national conference, which takes place in autumn every other year, is optional.
- Attendance at ALA Midwinter Meetings or Annual Conferences is optional but preferred in order for there to be participation in the ACRL liaisons assembly meetings.
- Membership in the CCHA is optional.
- Liaison must be willing to advocate for the importance of community college libraries in the teaching of humanities and the work of humanists.
- Liaison should effectively share information about ACRL strategic initiatives and agendas to the CCHA.
- Liaison will regularly report back to ACRL and CJCLS about upcoming CCHA events and initiatives.
- Current member of CJCLS and ACRL.
- Interest in coordinating activities to increase interaction between the CCHA, ACRL, and CJCLS.
- Financial support to attend the CCHA national conference for the length of the three-year term if not funded by ACRL. (Note: Liaison may apply for up to $1500 in conference funding from the Liaison Grants Committee, but funding is not guaranteed).
- Excellent communication skills.
- Record of service within CJCLS and/or ACRL.
- A degree or professional experience working in the humanities.