Janice Welburn is Dean of University Libraries at Marquette University in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Janice will receive the 2011 ACRL Academic/ Research Librarian of the Year award this week at ACRL 2011 in Philadelphia. Janice has been an ACRL member since 1981 and is your ACRL member of the week.
1. Describe yourself in three words: Puts people first.
2. What are you reading right now (or listening to on your iPod)? Really, I am reading Lee Bolman and Joan Gallos’ new book, Reframing Academic Leadership, although I also just picked up Jessica Harris’ new book High on the Hog: A Culinary Journey from Africa to America for leisure reading. On my mp3 player, I listen to classic rock, R&B, and some classical.
3. Describe ACRL in three words: Essential professional network.
4. Why did you join ACRL? ACRL was and still is among the best possible choices for me to grow professionally, to mentor, and be mentored.
5. What do you value about academic or research librarianship? The synergy we create between people — students, faculty, and independent scholars — and information
6. In your own words: I have often been asked whether or not it was a love of books that brought me to this profession. Those who ask are often surprised when I tell them that it was not the love of books but of people and the synergy between people and the information they seek that has marked my life and career as a librarian. I am also deeply committed — professionally and personally — to the role that we play with future generations of working professionals in our field.
While pursuing my education, I was always reminded of the value to society of giving back. As a librarian, I have benefited greatly from those individuals who have mentored me or worked with me in ACRL. But life would not be complete if I did not do the same for librarians that are new to our profession. I do not seek or derive personal satisfaction from this; rather, it comes from my own sense of duty to my profession and its association.
Editor’s Note: Are you an ACRL member? Would you like to be featured as ACRL Member of the Week? Nominate a colleague? Contact Mary Jane Petrowski at email@example.com for more information. ï»¿ ï»¿