1. Describe yourself in three words: Caring, conscientious, enthusiastic.
2. What are you reading right now? I love children’s literature, so I’ve been reading the Twilight Saga by Stephenie Meyer. I just finished Eclipse and am looking forward to reading Breaking Dawn. Vampires have definitely come a long way since Bela Lugosi!
3. Describe ACRL in three words: Informative, thought-provoking, timely.
4. Why did you join ACRL? I became an academic librarian after spending 19 years as a public librarian, full-time mommy, and school library aide. I thought that joining ACRL would help me catch up with the trends and issues in academic librarianship. I was right.
5. What do you value about academic or research librarianship? I value being part of a team that provides library service to the faculty, students, and staff of East Tennessee State University. I specifically value the role I play as an instruction/reference librarian in helping students find appropriate sources for their research. Many of our students come from economically depressed areas where they did not have opportunities to develop the research skills so necessary for college success. They’ve never been in a library as large as Sherrod, and these students can be intimidated. It’s so gratifying to work with students and watch them develop the confidence they need to do their assignments.
6. In your own words: I am a librarian-that word describes how I see myself. When I started my career, I worked with a print collection; now most of my work involves the use of databases and online resources. Sometimes I feel like a dinosaur. I have not created a Facebook account and I don’t have a strong urge to tweet. I relish face-to-face interaction. As an academic librarian, I feel that I can make a difference (even if just a small one) in the lives of the people who use Sherrod Library. Therefore, unlike dinosaurs, I will evolve in order to serve my patrons to the best of my ability. The truth is that every time I step into a library, it feels like I’m coming home. Libraries make sense to me. I hope they always will.
Editor’s Note: Are you an ACRL member? Would you like to be featured as ACRL Member of the Week? Nominate a colleague? Contact Mary Jane Petrowski at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.