Mandi Goodsett is the performing arts and humanities librarian at Cleveland State University in Cleveland, OH. Mandi has been an ACRL member since 2013 and is your ACRL member of the week for February 27, 2017.
1. Describe yourself in three words: Curious, driven, authentic.
2. What are you reading (or listening to on your mobile device)? I’m currently listening to Myth in Human History, an audio course from the Great Courses taught by Grant Voth; reading How We Got to Now: Six Innovations That Made the Modern World by Steven Johnson, as a member of my university’s Common Reading Committee; and reading Thinking Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman, for fun.
3. Describe ACRL in three words: Collaborative, discursive, forward-thinking.
4. What do you value about ACRL? As a new librarian, ACRL has welcomed me with open arms into its community of hard-working, inspiring librarians. Opportunities to network, share my scholarship, and grow as a professional abound, and I feel lucky to be part of a profession with such a strong community.
5. What do you, as an academic librarian, contribute to your campus? Besides teaching students how to use and evaluate information, guiding students through their research in reference consultations, and strategically building strong collections, I think librarians serve as an important hub of collaboration for the entire campus. In a given day, I might work with our eLearning Department, university IT staff, my liaison department chairs, or the Writing Center, not to mention the community groups, businesses, and other libraries in the area that my own library has reached out to for programming and events. I would venture to say that you wouldn’t find this much collaborative cooperation anywhere else on campus.
6. In your own words: It can be difficult for new academic librarians to adjust to the pressures and politics of higher education (and the feeling of imposter syndrome), but I believe that when more experienced librarians share their expertise and new librarians share their enthusiasm, really great things can happen.
Editor’s Note: Are you an ACRL member? Would you like to be featured as ACRL Member of the Week? Nominate a colleague? Contact Mary Jane Petrowski at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.