Sarah LeMire is First Year Experience and Outreach Librarian at Texas A&M University Libraries in College Station, Texas. Sarah has been an ACRL member since 2012. She is an ALA 2015 Emerging Leader and is your ACRL member of the week for May 4, 2015.
1. Describe yourself in three words: Dedicated, hardworking, and innovative.
2. What are you reading (or listening to on your mobile device(s)? Most recently, I’ve been reading Phil Klay’s Redeployment. I also spend a lot of my free time reading with and to my kids; I’ve been reading the Frog and Toad books with my oldest and I read Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? and Big Red Barn (among others) several times a day to my youngest.
3. Describe ACRL in three words: Professional, networking, and enriching.
4. What do you value about ACRL? As an early-career librarian, I value the role ACRL plays in bringing academic librarians together. ACRL is a tremendous resource for librarians interested in garnering new ideas, methods, and strategies for serving patrons’ needs.
5. What do you as an academic librarian contribute to your campus? I’m just starting a new job as a First-Year Experience Librarian, and in this role I’ll be working to make freshmen more aware of the library and how to use its resources effectively. I really enjoy the energy and enthusiasm of first-year students, and I’m looking forward to focusing my energies on building connections with these students and looking for ways to make the library and scholarly research more accessible to them.
6. In your own words: Librarianship is such a great gig. As an academic librarian, I have been given the opportunity and the encouragement to be creative, experiment, and innovate in order to identify ways that the library can better connect our patrons with the information they need. I love libraries’ patron-centered focus and being part of that mission.
Editor’s Note: Are you an ACRL member? Would you like to be featured as ACRL Member of the Week? Nominate a colleague? Contact Elizabeth Caris at email@example.com for more information.