Dear ACRL Arts section Members,
ACRL invites applicants to serve as ALA representatives to IFLA standing committees for the 2017– 2021 term. There is currently one vacancy for Art Libraries. To apply for the Art Libraries ALA representative to IFLA, submit the materials detailed below, to Megan Lotts at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than May 6, 2016.
- Completed “Request to be Nominated to IFLA” application form: http://www.ala.org/acrl/resources/forms.
- A resume reflecting expertise in field of the section applied for
- Affirmation that the person can fulfill the working language and travel requirements
ACRL sections review the IFLA representative applications and make recommendations to the ACRL Leadership Recruitment and Nominations Committee (LRNC). The LRNC will review applications at the 2016 ALA Annual Conference in Orlando. The LRNC then submits its recommendations to the ACRL Board for consideration at the 2016 Fall Executive Committee Meeting. In turn, the ACRL Board submits the approved candidates for nomination to the ALA International Relations Committee in November, 2016.
Please review the detailed guidelines located at: http://www.ala.org/acrl/resources/policies/chapter7#7.2.3.
Additional Information is also available on the ALA IRO page at: http://www.ala.org/offices/iro/internationalrelations and http://www.ala.org/offices/iro/intlassocorgconf/iflarepresentatives
Summary of the highlights:
Members are nominated and officially endorsed for a four-year term to every IFLA section standing committee at each IFLA election. The new appointments will be for the 2017 – 2021 term. Individuals can only serve on one IFLA committee at a time, and a maximum of two consecutive terms. Any ALA/ACRL member may be suggested for nomination to one of the six IFLA standing committees above. Individual applications for nomination are also acceptable. Current incumbents who are eligible for a second term may apply for continuation.
Nominees should be experts in the field covered by the section and have a working knowledge of at least one working language of IFLA (English is an IFLA working language), and should have reasonable expectation of attending meetings of the standing committee without cost to IFLA or to ACRL
ALA representatives on IFLA section standing committees are required to:
- Report to their constituencies on appropriate developments and information originating from their respective committees; these communications may be published in ALA journals or newsletters, or as special reports to ALA members;
- Transmit a copy of the report(s) to the ALA International Relations Committee.