Chicago, IL – Annual 2013 Meeting Minutes

Association of College and Research Libraries (ACRL) Arts Section
Executive Board and General Membership Meeting Minutes
ALA Annual Conference 2013
Sunday, June 30, 2013, 10:30am (Central)
Hyatt Regency, Grand D North, Chicago, IL

Officers
Chair: Alessia Zanin-Yost
Past Chair: Claudia Covert
Vice Chair: Sara Harrington
Secretary: Ann Medaille

Attendees
Tom Caswell (University of Florida), Claudia Covert (Rhode Island School of Design), Sara Harrington (Ohio University), Diane Kachmar (Florida Atlantic University), Diana King (University of California, Los Angeles), Ann Medaille (University of Nevada, Reno), Ngoc-Yen Tran (University of Oregon), and Alessia Zanin-Yost (Western Carolina University)

Agenda
The meeting convened at 10:41 p.m. CST.

Welcome and Introductions
A. Zanin-Yost, in her role as chair, welcomed meeting attendees.

Minutes
The minutes of the Midwinter 2013 Arts Section Executive Board and General Membership meeting were approved with no revisions.

Committee & Liaison Reports
ACRL Leadership Council (Alessia Zanin-Yost)
A. Zanin-Yost reported that many good ideas were presented for increasing members’ participation within the sections. In addition, a committee is going to work on revising the ACRL Information Literacy standards in the coming year; revisions will take into account new technology needs. S. Harrington reported that a document about communities of practice that was shared in advance of the meeting was very helpful. A. Zanin-Yost will look into sharing this document.

ARLIS/NA and IFLA Liaison, (Tom Caswell)
T. Caswell reported that ARLIS/NA held its annual conference in April in Pasadena, and there were over 700 attendees, which broke attendance records. Next year’s conference will be held in Washington DC in May, and the theme will be “Art + Politics.” The 2015 conference will be held in Dallas-Fort Worth. The ARLIS Board was very pleased with the joint ARLIS/Arts webinar. For next year’s webinar, the chair of the Arts Publications and Research Committee will work with the chair of ARLIS’s education committee. In addition, ARLIS approved three new special interest groups:  Graphic Novels, Provenance, and Stimulating Creativity in Practice. Finally, the current ARLIS president is Greg Most, and Carole Ann Fabian is the incoming president.

T. Caswell also reported that the IFLA conference was held in Helsinki last year, and there was tremendous turnout. This August the IFLA conference will be held in Singapore, and next year’s conference will be in Lyon, France.

Conference Program Planning Committee 2014 (Diane Kachmar)
D. Kachmar reported that there is a September 15th deadline to submit a program proposal for the 2014 ALA Annual Conference. The committee plans to draw on the University of Nevada, Last Vegas as a local arts resource, and they have some contacts there. They are anticipating that the program will be held at 3:00 on Sunday, and they are hoping that it will be located in the convention center. They need to decide on a topic, room size, and whether or not they want a budget. A. Medaille suggested exploring connections between art and gaming. Y. Tran suggested that the program could focus on the visual aspects of game design.

Digital Technologies and the Arts Committee (Susan Wiesner)
S. Wiesner was not present. S. Harrington reported that the committee has new members this year, and she hopes that they will determine whether this committee is active and relevant.

Membership and Outreach Committee (Reagan Brumagen)
R. Brumagen was not present. Y. Tran reported that, as webmaster, she is re-organizing the arts website and looking at other ACRL section websites to see what they are doing. She hopes to improve the clarity of the site’s presentation. She doesn’t know who will be the webmaster next year, but it is generally someone from the Membership and Outreach Committee, although only three people are on the committee in the coming year. She will put forth a proposal for how the website redesign might look. A. Zanin-Yost reported that R. Brumagen had many questions about the manual and is revising it to make it clearer. D. King reported that WGSS is doing this too and is looking to the Instruction Section Manual as a model for ways to streamline the documentation. Y. Tran suggested that the manual could have more tips and guidelines about different job duties and be more specific to the tasks of the different committees.

Nominating Committee 2014 (Claudia Covert)
C. Covert reported that Yen Tran and Michael Pierce were nominated and elected as chair and secretary, respectively. She has some advice on future candidates, which she will pass along to A. Zanin-Yost for next year.

Publications & Research Committee (Yvette Cortes)
Y. Cortes was not present. Y. Tran reported that the committee produced three arts guides for this year, and she was the editor for two of them. They are still having trouble getting enough people to be contributors. She also reported that the joint webinar with ARLIS went very well. The webinar content was originally password protected but is now freely available and is linked from the Arts section main webpage as well as the conference page.

Strategic Planning Committee (Michael Pierce)
M. Pearce was not present, but he will send his report to S. Harrington.

Discussion Group Reports
Dance Librarians Discussion Group
No report was given.

Theatre Librarians Discussion Group
D. King reported that Joe Talley, the group’s originator, was trying to determine how much demand there was for this group. King wondered whether the group and an email listserv might serve a need that the Theatre Library Association doesn’t serve.

Film and Broadcast Librarians Discussion Group
S. Harrington reported that there is an incoming discussion group chair, and she will be tasked with finding ways that this group can connect other than through conference attendance – probably through virtual means.

There was some general discussion about attendance at the discussion group meetings at Annual. Last year the Dance Librarians Discussion Group was well attended, but attendance was very low at the Theatre Librarians Discussion Group and the Film and Broadcast Librarians Discussion Group meetings. Sometimes people don’t know whether there will be an active discussion meeting at Annual because no agenda goes out for the groups (except for dance). D. King noted that there is a listserv for cinema and media studies librarians called CAMSLIB. Many members of this list are ALA attendees, and this might be a good way to get the message out about the discussion group meetings.

S. Harrington also noted that the diffusion of communication might be a problem with getting the word out, and she suggested that it might be helpful to focus communication in one area. It also might be helpful to ask some group leaders to introduce themselves one by one on the Arts listserv. Noting that the Arts Discussion Forum has gravitated from a discussion format to a presentation format, C. Covert thought that one option to help members connect might be to hold an online discussion forum for Annual. D. Kachmar noted that online chat forums have been quite successful and that it would be valuable to try out an online discussion forum and see how things go. A. Zanin-Yost said that in the coming year the Arts section will try experimenting with some of these different ideas.

Reports from Liaisons
Theatre Library Association (Diana King)
D. King reported that the TLA is a co-sponsor for today’s Arts program (although their name was accidentally omitted from the conference program). The TLA is trying to do more co-programming and co-sponsorship with other organizations, and they might be interested in co-sponsoring future Arts programs that have a performance bent. The TLA has two upcoming events. In November at the American Society for Theatre Research (ASTR) Conference, they will be sponsoring a plenary entitled “The Big D: Big Data and the Performing Arts.” In 2014 the TLA will be co-sponsoring a 3-day conference with SIBMAS (International Association of Libraries and Museums of the Performing Arts). The conference will be held in New York City, with one day devoted to each of three areas: “Digital Humanities and the Performing Arts: Building Communities,” “Poetry in Motion: Dance and Movement Arts,” and “ArtiFacts and ArtiFictions: Material Culture and Ephemera.” King also reported that the TLA suspended its book awards for a year to revise its guidelines and procedures, but the awards are coming back next year. They are also considering the possibility of giving an award for digital projects as well as monographs. Finally, a joint a TLA/ASTR ad hoc committee was formed to investigate the impact of library budget cuts on theater and performing arts collections, but the focus of their work has shifted to archives and special collections. King will share results of the committee’s work once their report is completed.

Election Results of New Chairs/Conveners
A. Zanin-Yost handed out a chart showing the Arts leadership positions and committee memberships for the coming year.

ALA Annual Schedule for 2014 (Alessia Zanin-Yost)
A. Zanin-Yost reported that there might have been some confusion about the two Arts Executive Committee meetings that were scheduled for this year, as was done last year. C. Covert reported that, in the past, the Saturday morning meeting had been intended to be an all committees meeting, but attendance has been dwindling in recent years. She questioned whether the committees wanted to meet in person or would prefer to do their work virtually. She also observed that ACRL 101 was held during the Saturday morning time slot, and it might be better to send a representative to that event Y. Tran suggested that the first executive committee meeting be removed from the schedule or that it be called something different so that its intent was clearer. She also suggested that the meeting could be scheduled after ACRL 101. A. Zanin-Yost thought that it might be beneficial to have all Arts meetings scheduled in the convention center.

ARLIS/NA Considerations for Partnerships (Alessia Zanin-Yost)
A. Zanin-Yost distributed documentation about the Arts/ARLIS partnerships, but she will postpone discussion about the document until all have had a chance to look it over and give feedback. C. Covert noted that they received a lot of good feedback on the joint webinar, but she didn’t see anything in the documentation about a feedback survey, which had also been discussed.

Open Forum/Announcements
T. Caswell announced that the University of Florida closed its music library and incorporated the collection into the architecture and fine arts library. They also have a new music librarian.

The meeting adjourned at 11:52 a.m. CST.

Respectfully submitted,
Ann Medaille, Arts Section Secretary