ALA Midwinter Meeting, Seattle
Germanists Discussion Group and Romance Languages Discussion Group Joint Meeting
Sunday, January 27, 2013
1:00 – 2:30pm
- Libby Chenault, Western European Librarian, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
- Lidia Uziel, Librarian for Western European Humanities, Yale University
I. Introductions and Institutional Updates
II. Discussion of Interests and Concerns
III. Suggestions for 2013 Annual Meeting; Volunteer Opportunities
- A session on how to build an approval plan. It was suggested that we might include a vendor in the panel. We might also want to have a group who has plans at consortial level.
- A related topic was “who is collecting what’s on the outside” our approval plans, consortial plans, etc.
- The evolving role of the liaison/subject librarian esp. as more resources are “packaged;” that we are not “bibliographers:” that certain collecting/service for our areas is done by others e.g., data specialists.
- Meet with WESS catalogers to let them tell us about the effects of RDM and how our resources, cataloging & metadata do and don’t work within our discovery tools and beyond.
- Developing impact factors or other criteria to showcase and demonstrate the importance and success of our programs might relate to Title VI centers.