The ACRL Women and Gender Studies Section (WGSS) is currently seeking applications to serve a three-year term (July 1, 2018 – June 30, 2021) as the ACRL Liaison to the National Women’s Studies Association (NWSA). Liaisons are responsible for outreach and communication between NWSA and ACRL to form strong relationships and advance the interests of ACRL and WGSS.
“Established in 1977, the National Women’s Studies Association has as one of its primary objectives promoting and supporting the production and dissemination of knowledge about women and gender through teaching, learning, research and service in academic and other settings.
Our commitments are to: illuminate the ways in which women’s studies are vital to education; to demonstrate the contributions of feminist scholarship that is comparative, global, intersectional and interdisciplinary to understandings of the arts, humanities, social sciences and sciences; and to promote synergistic relationships between scholarship, teaching and civic engagement in understandings of culture and society.”
Liaison responsibilities and expectations:
- Attend the NWSA Annual Conference in November, participating in the Librarians Task Force of NWSA, and submitting panels and/or giving presentations as desired
- Communicate with the WGSS membership via reports in the newsletter and emails to WGSS-L promoting WGSS participation in NWSA
- Attend WGSS Executive Committee meetings (the committee meets virtually for the Midwinter conference)
- Attend ACRL Liaison Assembly meetings at ALA Annual
- Provide a liaison report to ACRL once a year (past examples available upon request)
Deadline for applications: May 15th, 2018
- Current membership in WGSS (NWSA may be joined upon appointment)
- Ability to attend NWSA Annual Conferences for the length of the three-year term. Note: you can apply for ACRL Liaison funding to cover conference travel, but this funding is granted via a competitive process and is not guaranteed.
- Record of participation in either WGSS or NWSA (or both)
Please submit a letter of application outlining your interest and qualifications to Laura Bonella, WGSS Chair, at email@example.com.
Selection Process Timeline
May 16th-31st: WGSS Executive Committee reviews applications and selects liaison
June 1st-8th: WGSS Chair contacts selected candidate and notifies candidates who were not selected.
If you have any questions about the responsibilities of the position, please contact Jennifer Gilley (firstname.lastname@example.org), the current NWSA liaison.